7 takeways from Mashable's "Future of Journalism" event
Last Wednesday just over 100 journalists packed into the 92YTribeca to talk with Mashable’s Vadim Lavrusik and Columbia professor Sree Sreenivasan. The duo chatted about how best to navigate the uncertain waters ahead.
This wasn’t your typical macro-level “how do we save news?” discussion. Instead it focused on more the individual journalist and their careers. Some takeaways included:
- Build your own “board of advisors” from non-media fields.
- Internet today is equal to TV in the 50s.(video below)
- The fundamentals of great writing, reporting are still critical.
- Some people are hesitant to change. Sreenivasen recalled one reporter rejecting Google in favor of... Dogpile. (see video below)
- Be capable in many formats, but a specialist in one.
- Be good at pointing people to content in your niche (don’t only self-promote).
- An entrepreneurial spirit is a big plus in the current market.
- Know your metrics: Google Analytics and Bit.ly etc.
For the complete presentation read Sreenivasan's post on Mashable.